This post was originally drafted in October of 2018 but somehow never got published. Check out the list below from Sister Samuella on how to live a simple, clean lifestyle. Seems like she may have had a peek into the future with her ideas on using more video conferencing and making sure to always support local businesses.
Three words: Reduce. Reuse. Recycle.
- Think of three things you are grateful for first thing in the morning before you start your day.
- Be present and in the moment when you have a good experience or affirming encounter with someone.
- Find beauty in the natural world. Consider a visit to Jubilee Farm to take a walk on a trail.
- Laugh a lot.
- Choose material goods as resources to share with your family over collecting or acquiring objects to show status or wealth.
- Choose food and other items with less packaging.
- Buy less.
- Buy clothes, furniture, and kitchen supplies at resale shops.
- Accept hand-me-down clothing from friends and family.
- Buy fair trade items and goods that practice your personal values in their business methods.
- Always eat your leftovers.
- Eat simple, natural foods with less meat and sugar.
- Visit your local farmers market for produce.
- Grow your own herb or vegetable garden.
- Plan your meals at the beginning of the week and have a consistent breakfast and lunch—think of your first and second meals as fuel over a satisfying experience.
- Enjoy dinners with friends and family as a shared experience in food preparation, cooking, and conversation.
- Make meals with versatile veggies for multiple meals each week.
- Schedule carpool rides or share rides.
- Use public transportation whenever possible.
- Use video conferencing to cut down on travel expenses.
- Practice constant vehicle maintenance and change oil.
- Be responsible with money and share with others what you don’t require for basic needs, healthcare, and retirement.
- Invest with the needs of the poor and the resources of Earth in mind over compulsive consumerism.
- Think local when it comes to your economy: buy local and buy Earth-friendly products.
- Donate to a nonprofit organization that will actively work to create the change you want to see in the world.
What other ways do you try to live a simple life? Let us know in the comments below.