List of cancellations at Sacred Heart Convent updated May 6, 2020.
An update from the Dominican Sisters of Springfield, Illinois:
In keeping with the directives of the State of Illinois Sacred Heart Convent is remaining on lock down protocol through May 31.
To increase the likelihood our senior sisters will remain clear of the virus:
- No visitors will be allowed to enter the motherhouse complex at 1237 W. Monroe, Springfield, Illinois until further notice.
- No public events will be held at the convent until further notice
This is an unprecedented experience for all of us. Please know that our sisters continue in solidarity with you and all your loved ones during this time.
Starting Tuesday, March 10, 2020, Sacred Heart Convent has begun implementing recommendations from the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) in order to prevent the introduction of respiratory viruses into the convent. All events are canceled until Mach 26.
In order to minimize the risk of coronavirus infection among the 103 sisters who live and work at Sacred Heart Convent, the following precautions will be implemented immediately:
- Visitors to Sacred Heart Convent are limited to persons 18 years of age and older.
- The following activities are postponed:
- Wednesday, March 11: St. Agnes 6th grade class visit
- Thursday, March 12: SHG Hospitality Night
- Fri.-Sun., March 13-15, St. Bede Academy visit
- Sunday, March 15: Donors Mass & Luncheon
- Tuesday, March 17: St. Patrick School visit
- Wednesday, March 18: New Jerusalem Singers performance
- Fri.-Sun. March 20-22: SDART meeting
- Sunday, March 22: Chapel Tour
- Friday, March 27: Come & See Weekend
- Monday, March 30: Liturgical Arts Festival
Those with questions about events scheduled at any other venue sponsored or managed by Dominican Sisters of Springfield should check with the location in question. These postponements are for events only at Sacred Heart Convent, 1237 W. Monroe St., Springfield, IL 62704.
Evening prayer with preaching scheduled for Thursday, March 19 in honor of the Feast of St. Joseph will take place for the sisters only.
“Determination will be made about public events scheduled at Sacred Heart Convent after March 19 based on further guidance from the Center for Disease Control and the IDPH,” said Terry Kolaz, executive director at the convent.
“Precautions we have put in place to protect the senior sisters are wise for anyone who has elderly or physically frail persons living in their homes: limit social contact, wash hands, cover a cough with your elbow, and disinfect frequently touched surfaces,” she added.
“It is our hope that the COVID-19 virus does not find its way to 1237 W. Monroe,” said Sister Judith Hilbing, the prioress of Sacred Heart Convent. “We believe that taking these extra precautions will increase the likelihood that we can all stay healthy. We are grateful for the assistance in this effort of a dedicated lay staff, whose diligence and care is a blessing to us.”
Sacred Heart Convent is home to 93 Springfield Dominican Sisters and is the administrative center for the congregation that has educated, mentored, healed, comforted and supported God’s people since 1873.
1 thought on “Coronavirus Precautions at<br> Sacred Heart Convent”
Please God protect these sisters from Coronavirus.
I pray for you.