Are you interested in becoming a Dominican Associate? If you think you might want to learn more about how to become a candidate, we would be happy to pray for you and with you as you discern your calling. Here is a message for you from our Associate Program Director, Sister M. Joan Sorge, OP.
Contact Sister Joan with your questions to learn more about to become a Springfield, Illinois Dominican Associate. You may wish to view one of the Associate Formation Candidate Sessions or read the brochure we have provided here.
Living a Balanced Life
Sister Joan Sorge, OP
Sunday, January 8, 2017
How do I become a
If you are a baptized Christian and at least 21 years old, you are eligible to seek candidacy. After being accepted into the program, Associate candidates complete a nine-month formation process in which candidates study dimensions of church and Dominican life as they are interwoven in study, prayer, community and ministry. The structured phase of the formation process concludes with a one-day retreat during which candidates discern their next step of commitment. The Associate relationship is formalized and celebrated through a commitment ceremony held at Sacred Heart Convent in Springfield, IL.
Springfield Dominican Associates are called to embody the Dominican charism, hear and proclaim God’s Word, and promote the dignity of all persons. We commit ourselves to lives rooted in prayer, study, community and ministry. Through our diverse gifts we strive to participate in the mission of the Church by putting into action our call to preach the Word with our lives.
Uncover the light
of the Gospel
in the world
- Deepen your relationship with God and God’s people.
- Use your unique gifts.
- Embrace your role as leaven for a world in search of meaning.
Monthly meetings will allow you to explore:
- The life of St. Dominic and the work of the order he founded, the Order of Preacher
- The gifts the Dominicans bring to the church and the orders’ characteristic life of prayer and spirituality
- The witness of Dominican saints like: Catherine of Siena, Thomas Aquinas and Rose of Lima
- The history and ministry of the Dominican Sisters of Springfield
- Your own relationship to God and God’s people
- The role of the baptized as leaven for the world in search of meaning
Reasons to become a Dominican Associate:
A call to share the Gospel,
A longing to pray, study and serve with others,
A desire to preach the Word with our lives.
Dominican Associate Mission
We, Dominican Associates of Springfield, Illinois
are called to
embody the Dominican charism,
hear and proclaim God’s word, and
promote the dignity of all persons.
We commit ourselves to lives rooted in
prayer, study, community and ministry.
Through our gifts of diversity,
we strive to participate in the mission
of the church
by putting into action our call
to preach the word with our lives.