“In June 1937, Father Peter Harrington, SMA, Pastor of St. Augustine Parish, requested that the Dominican Sisters of Springfield, Ill., come to East St. Louis to educate young black students. The Dominican Sisters taught with love and dedication at St. Augustine Grade School and at St. Mary’s Grade and High School from September 1937 until August, 1964. They also taught at Sr. Thea Bowman School from 1997 to 2004.”
So reads the monument installed at St. Augustine Parish in August.
The names of the Dominican Sisters of Springfield, IL who served at these schools are engraved on one side of the monument. Pictured above are the five living Sisters who are among those whose names are memorialized.
Left to right, bottom row: Sister Doris Taylor, OP, Sister Janet Guretz
Top row: Sister Marion Sitkiewitz, Sister Henrianne Schmidt, Sister. Mary Rose Schleeper.